Sunday, June 2, 2013

Collard Greens and Brown Tomatoes

 
Tired of the same old tomatoes?
Tired of the same old side dishes?
 Don't want to spend all day cooking southern style greens?
 
My husband is a huge tomato fan, but I only like really good tomatoes. I grew some heirloom tomatoes one year and they were great. Trader Joe's has baby heirloom tomatoes I buy occasionally, but the flavor is not all that strong. I had heard about brown tomatoes a while ago and I stumbled on these in WalMart and they are really good! They are not too big so you can use one up in one sitting. The flesh is perfect, not too hard or too soft and the flavor is really nice. They are not too acidic, they just have a good tomato flavor. They should really be called Goldilocks tomatoes!!
I used them diced up in an omelet, chunked up in a salad and sliced thin on a sandwich. They also seem to be staying fresh quite a while. So, have some fun and eat brown tomatoes!

 
I do, however, love greens in any form, but they can be time consuming to make. I have some frozen greens from , where else?!, Trader Joe's that I am going to make but in the mean time these canned ones are yummy. The only downside is they do have a lot of sodium. I don't use a lot of salt on my food so I figure canned food is okay now and then. Many brands are very salty, but this particular brand does not taste salty to me, it has a nice spicy kick instead. 
These are great for low carbers. A serving has only 3 net carbs and the whole can only has 9 net carbs, woohoo!
So, eat your greens baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment