Thursday, December 20, 2012

Low Carb Spiced Nuts

My sister Laurie, reminded me about these nuts that I make. It's funny because I was actually thinking about them too! Must be the ESP sister thing?

I have them on top of cottage cheese or greek yogurt along with some berries for a relatively low carb meal...YUM!!

By the way, BEST greek yogurt:Fage made in Johnstown, NY!
http://www.fageusa

 

You know how we all get on kicks, well I had to have a stash of these nuts on hand at all times. I would make a big batch and then store them in my Lock and Lock
(which is also a MUST have).
These are the L&L I use for sugar, flour and dog biscuits too.
 
 
I will have to make a batch for our Dulcimer Gathering in February. I'll post pictures the next time I can get to a grocery store. ANY excuse to go to Trader Joe's!

They are very simple to make and would be great as a Christmas or Hostess gift.

2 large bags pecan halves
2 large bags slivered almonds
2 large bags hazelnuts
Truvia and cinnamon to taste

Spread the 2 bags of the same nuts onto a rimmed cookie sheet in a single layer. Work with only one kind of nut at a time because they will take different amounts of time to roast. Sprinkle Truvia over all the nuts and dust them with cinnamon as well. It is hard to give a measurement here, just put on as much as you would like, as if you were making cinnamon toast.

Roast in a preheated 350 degree oven until you can start to smell them. Check them often so they do not burn. Probably will be about 10- 15 minutes.Take them out of the oven and transfer them to a bowl.
Once you have roasted them all, give them a stir in the bowl to mix them together. Spread them back out on the cookie sheet to cool completely. They don't need to be in a single layer at this point, just dump them all on there.
Store them in an airtight container or give them to someone special!

1 comment: