Sunday, December 9, 2012

Starlight Twists aka: Christmas Past

 

Update 12/22/12 I made them! They are crunchy and sweet on the outside , tender and creamy on the inside. No, I did not go so far as to make the green glaze.. 
Click on the picture and you can read the recipe a lot better.

She left out 375 for 15-20 minutes.
Do you think it was on purpose so I would come home more often?

My Mother, Ruth Margot Johnson Rocchio, made these pastries every Christmas and they are heaven on earth! I thought we were the only family who had such a wonderful mother to make these labor intensive gems. However, I see that they were made by everybody in that era as there is a recipe for them in the most recent Taste of Home. Ruth's recipe was filled with sugar only and she made a beautiful light green icing for the top. We would drive her crazy because we could not wait to eat them. One year I found her hiding place, it was in my brother Jeff's room! Maybe I was the only one like that? There was an enormous tin filled with them and I snuck a few. Ok, maybe more than a few. I have made them only once and I see why she was so protective of them. They can be tricky, but worth it. Be warned though, if you you are not alone in your house, they WILL disappear. Come to think of it, even if you are the only one home, they WILL disappear!! I don't have a photo of them because, like I said , they are work. I might get up the ambition to do them though. I was thinking of doing a retro homage to Mom and Christmas Eve. Lobster Newburg in her copper chafing dish, ham and starlight twists to name a few.
 
Spritz
No directions needed as we all knew it by heart. This is Laurie's handwriting. I was in charge of putting the red sugar on the green wreaths.

Butter Nut Balls
They were always slightly burned on the bottom, but oh so buttery!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Awww, Dyanne--what a wonderful memory. It made me happy, and a little nostalgic for days gone by, to read it. How sweet that you still have your mother's actual recipe. We still have the recipe for Grandma's muffins (French Breakfast Puffs--remember them?) at the beach house, and we still use it every year to make her muffins. The recipe is written on cardboard, copied from Grandma"s recipe by Jamie, and it is stained in a hundred places with batter, and butter, and cinnamon, and I love it! And I remember fun Christmas Eves on Red Chimney Drive with the Rocchios, Kiernans. and Dees. A Christmas homage to your mother would be so nice! Merry Christmas to you and Dan, and thank you to Facebook for helping to keep us connected! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Nancy!!! The first recipe I introduced Dan to was the French Puffs. My Betty Crocker is all stained too. One of our Schnauzers ate a whole plate one time. I thought she would burst! I still make them and love them. I absolutely loved those Christmas Eves too. They are the best memories. This summer I will have to post about the Beach house memories. I know, I love FB for that. We need to get Jamie here at least!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED those cookies (along with the spritz and butterballs). What great memories - I appreciate them more now than ever. I would love to time travel back, if only for a moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I posted the other 2 recipes. I had them in my hand this morning. Those are THE 3 cookies for me. No others will do! She was the best and we had such a wonderful life, don't you think? This trip down memory lane all started because I polished up her chafing dishes and used them for Thanksgiving. I think she would be happy about that.

      Delete